Saturday, July 3, 2010

Doing My Part for Virginia's Infrastructure

The trouble with getting lost in Richmond is that there are many, many tolls. What should have been a mere $.70 quickly turned into a highway shopping spree. I just spent about $6.00 trying to get home from Target. I got so turned around I think I heard my GPS snort.

Luckily, I have the E-Z Pass, so it never feels like I'm spending money. And that little green "thank you" light is just so congenial. You're welcome, Virginia:)

Admittedly, I have been proud of myself for making it around so competently since I've been here. Mom gave me a Garmin GPS for Christmas, possibly the most inspired gift ever given. I named her Lucy and knew that we would quickly become best friends after my move to Richmond.

Lucy's usually great. My complaints are that she takes a long time to get her bearings and sometimes doesn't tell me to turn until we are rolling through the intersection. Really, Lucy?! Turn HERE?! Lately she's been stuttering a lot. T-t-t-turn r-r-i-i-i-ight on Fra-a-a-nk-nk-nklin; then t-t-t-urn l-l-l-e-e-eft. Lucy, are you okay??

If you know me, you may know that I have a hopeless, chronic affliction that can only be characterized as severe geographic idiocy. I am looking forward to really knowing my way around. But these things take time.

4 comments:

  1. Lucy SNORTED?! The shame! Hahahahahahaha! Best entry yet.
    Love,
    Your Biggest Fan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha, ha, Mango! I knew it was you the minute I saw "Kiwi" on my blog! I'm stoked to have you in my repertoire of blog-friends! You are such a talented writer--your Richmond experience will prove both comical and exciting to read! Oh, and don't be afraid to threaten Lucy with a voice change; nothing like being replaced to inspire motivation!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm...interesting idea. How'd you like to be British, Lucy? Or speak a little Espanol? Now who's stuttering?

    ReplyDelete
  4. HA!! Love this entry. How did I miss it until this morning's lovely internet/coffee consumption binge? H-i-IIIIIIlarious.

    ReplyDelete